Sunday, 24 September 2017
Home
About Us
Our Newsletter
Photo Gallery
Video Gallery
Interment Choices
Cremation Interment
Mausoleum
Private Estates
Grave Markers
Buy Flowers
Testimonials
Foundation
Contact Us
Buy flowers direct from hills of rest!
Buy flowers direct from hills of rest!

Watch the news story on out belltower!
Home arrow About Us arrow Our History
Our History
 
                          Robert and Mildred Powers
                        

      Hills of Rest Memorial Park was founded in 1933 by Robert and Mildred Powers.  The location that was chosen for Hills of Rest was a 110-acre site east of the city limits of Sioux Falls, SD.  Today, more than 70 years later, the city has grown around us.
 
      Instead of a traditional upright cemetery, Hills of Rest was designed as a memorial park.  This design concept accentuates the natural beauty of nature by setting the bronze and granite grave markers flush with the ground.
 
              Construction of the Hills of Rest
                   Memorial Park Main Gates
 
 














                     Planting trees  circa 1933

  


Early Construction

      Part of the natural beauty of Hills of Rest Memorial Park is the use of fieldstone for the construction of buildings and gateposts.  This type of construction required skilled stonecutters and craftsmen.


 Planting Trees

      A part of the design of Hills of Rest Memorial Park was the placement of evergreen and leaf-bearing trees.  The trees planted during the early construction have matured and today enhance the beauty that is Hills of Rest Memorial Park.
 
      In 2004, Hills of Rest started a tree farm consisting of over 250 trees of various species to help insure that trees damaged by storms or disease could easily be replaced.

 
The Hills of Rest Memorial Park Tree Farm

  
 

300 N Chapel Hill RD, Sioux Falls, SD 57103-1106
605-338-6551 1-877-877-3796


Member: International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association

Designed and Hosted By Gage eServices